Dynamat in the Hawk

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

#27BlkFireHawk

Dynamat in the Hawk

Post by #27BlkFireHawk » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:43 pm

To Anyone who was thinking about putting Dynamat on the floor of your car, thinking it would help with the noise our cars make (especially mine since I've lowered it 2 inches with the Koni Adjustables and installed Hooker Shorties) I purchaed the Dynamatt extreem box (36ft) for $196.00... and 5 hours later.... Didnt put a dent in the noise.

Maybe if I take off the Dash some how and place some on the firewall, that might help. Looks like I'll be getting another 36SqFt of it... I'll let you guys know how it went.

Handles like the hips on my last Girlfriend.

99' Cajun Firehawk 157

Post by 99' Cajun Firehawk 157 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:54 pm

I was thinking of putting some in the doors just to make them not sound so hollow/loose/cheap when you slam it...do you plan on doing yours?

Keep me posted if so...
Regards,
Todd

Visit My F~Quick Garage!

Southern F-Body
Signed Firehawk book #157

Rhode Island Red

Post by Rhode Island Red » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 am

Instead of the stick on rubber, why don't your try their composite material. It is designed to reduce low frequencies. There is a car in the Dec. 07 Hot rod mag with pics on the stuff FYI :)

#27BlkFireHawk

Post by #27BlkFireHawk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:43 am

Cajun, I plan on it, doing the doors, firewall, and trunk. I will keep everyone posted.

Rhode Island Red, Never know they had a composite sound denting. I will look into it, thanks for the insight.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:17 am

That is too bad. A lot of added weight and expense for no benefit.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

Matt B

Post by Matt B » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:10 am

There is a spray on material that i used in my doors back in the late 90s that worked very well, without a lot of weight penalty. I'll see if i can find what it was.

#27BlkFireHawk

Post by #27BlkFireHawk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:15 am

Was it Lizard Skin? I saw something like what you refering to in Summit Mag. I got the dynamat from Jegs.

Firehawk 526

Post by Firehawk 526 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:54 pm

I must disagree, as I have (2) bulk kits (1) trunk kit and (2) door kits that has effectively reduced internal noise. The majority of road noise produced that is annoying are the rear tire wells and rear end whine. Don't expect miracles, but this deadening should reduce internal noise 1-2 db max. W

Dynamat Extreme from firewall all the way back to the rear hatch

You are welcome to review my FQuick webpage that has pics of the vehicle being totally dynamatted. Mind you my car is also lowered, and the added weight will impact your ride and ride height. IMHO, I would just do the front seating including firewall/rear deck/fender wells and the (2) doors. Everthing else was overkill. You must run the dynamat all the way up to the firewall which is where much of the front wheel/engine noise eminates.

If fact, I lost 1.5" with the added weight (w/4 amps, etc) and had to swap out for stronger linear springs and adjustable shocks to restore my ride height and suspension setup.

Some people elect to spray, and others choose BE QUIET which is slightly thinner in MIL spec's, but almost just as effective.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/532717
http://www.fquick.com/Firehawk526
2002 T/A Pewter Firehawk #526
EFA 2005 Bracket Racing Points Champion
EFA 2005 October COTM
FSFB 2005 October ROTM

#27BlkFireHawk

Post by #27BlkFireHawk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:06 pm

:? Dont let the photos fool you. I got the dynamat as far up the firewall as I could reach under the black plastic that runs down by your feet. Now unless I take out the dash, I cant see any other way of getting the dynamatt any further. i will agree about the doors and trunk area, obviously I ran out. But like I said, since I've done this much, i might as well do the rest. Again the only issue i have is taking out the dash.

Firehawk 526

Post by Firehawk 526 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:11 pm

They didn't remove the dash on mine, but just ran up as far as possible.

I know my buddy has (2) layers in his Firehawk (not throughout), and you definitely notice it, but again, he only placed it in specific areas where noise is more prevalent and detectable. Are your rubber door gaskets still good? No air coming in, or any area that is introducing noise from a non-dynamatted area? You have the M6, so remember you have a slit in the center console that exposes road noise underneath the boot. I traced it like finding a needle in a hay stack. Do you have a modified exhaust system w/loudmouth, or noisy tires such a slicks? Just trying to help understand your setup and help overcome those issues.

Best wishes
Mark

O.....and it is a real PITA to remove, so take that into consideration.
Once in, IMO, no reason to come out.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/532717
http://www.fquick.com/Firehawk526
2002 T/A Pewter Firehawk #526
EFA 2005 Bracket Racing Points Champion
EFA 2005 October COTM
FSFB 2005 October ROTM

nicholas.weidner

dynamat

Post by nicholas.weidner » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:36 am

I did my complete floors and sides (even doing the rear well) and I noticed a significant difference in the noise levels.......granted, I think if I could pull the dash and do the upper firewall would help even more.

for me it was time and money well spent.......used two of the 36 sq ft boxes and two of the 18's......

Dynamat on the doors made a big difference in the amount of road noise and improvment in audio/stereo sound. I can now use the bluetooth I installed when I dropped in the alpine head unit and hear myself and the people listening can hear me fairly well.

James_Montigny

Post by James_Montigny » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 am

Dynomat is good stuff, I'd hate to all all of that weight to my car, but
it sure would be nice to quiet her back down a little.