Auburn and Billstein vs stock

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

mikecronis

Auburn and Billstein vs stock

Post by mikecronis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:03 am

I had a '99 with the Bilstein shocks and found them a bit harsh but good. I know Koni is a rarer option. I had the standard LSD.

I'm looking at buying a 2002 (sold my '99.. kicking self) that has no shocks or LSD upgrade listed on the build-sheet.

Is the Auburn worth it? I street-drift lightly. With TCS off I was able to do that pretty easily.

What is a 'Hawk like without the Bilstein or Koni shocks? Is it softer and is the lateral-g-forces slightly less? Can these be an easy add-on?

mikecronis

Re: Auburn and Billstein vs stock

Post by mikecronis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 am

Found my answer here for the differential:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11944

Thing is, this site doesn't allow "common" searches, such as "Auburn" or "Limited Slip Differential" because they're too "common". Webmaster, can you fix that? I don't mind 100 pages. Makes searches frustrating.

mikecronis

Post by mikecronis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:13 am

Okay, so I researched the shocks too. Now I used to have a '98 Firebird V6 and the suspension, especially at high-speeds was scary and vague. The Firehawk '99 I owned had the Bilstein and it was crisp and actually handled better over 100 mph. I suspect the Koni will be, depending on the 3 settings, more of "that". I remember the Bilsteins were a bit cruel on rough road though. By 60k miles they were shot.

Now, if SLP didn't supply any shock option on the build-sheet, what came stock and how were those? Can anyone talk of those vs. Bilstein vs. Koni?

02 red hawk

Post by 02 red hawk » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:36 pm

I've got 2 2002 Trans Ams, a WS6 & a Firehawk. Both are lowered on Strano springs with Koni ocas. The Firehawk is set to full hard & corners like a slot car on rails. I feel every bump in the road. The WS6 is full soft & the ride is much more forgiving. Of course it can't handle cornering like the Hawk. Konis are expensive, but allow you to tailor the ride to your specific application.

mikecronis

Post by mikecronis » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:12 am

I've owned the Bilsteins and after 20k miles road-harshness was like a hammer-smash on a table for every tiny pebble in the road. By 60k miles it was like being beat up by Mike Tyson on PCP.

In retrospect, I've owned a 1998 V6 Firebird and it was like floating on clouds with vague steering that threatened doom at every dangerous turn like wet oatmeal.

I've owned since then a 2006 Lotus Elise, a 2008 Saturn Sky RL, a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport with magnetic ride-control, and currently I have (and am selling on AutoTrader) a 2006 Pontiac Solstice V8 Mallett. All the suspensions on those were pretty acceptable. Honestly, the best so far is that Solstice. Chuck Mallett did some magic there; very planted and nice.

mikecronis

Post by mikecronis » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:34 am

BILSTEIN ULTRA PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION SYSTEM
35mm front stabilizer bar
21mm rear stabilizer bar
Reinforced stabilizer bar brackets and special end-links
Bilstein shocks, recalibrated to SLP specs.
Progressive-rate front springs 223 to 448 lb.-per-inch
Progressive-rate rear springs 97 to 136 lb.-per-inch
Rear trailing arms with 1LE bushings
1LE panhard bar
Option Price: $999

1LE SUSPENSION SYSTEM
35mm front stabilizer bar
21mm rear stabilizer bar
Reinforced stabilizer bar brackets and special end-links
Double-adjustable Koni shocks
Linear-rate front springs: 360 lb.-per-inch
Progressive-rate rear springs 130-170 lb.-per-inch
Front lower control arms with higher durometer bushings
Rear trailing arms with higher durometer bushings
Panhard bar with higher durometer bushings
Option Price: $1,850.

Not sure what the "base" option setup for the SLP conversion Firehawk was. Anyone?