Android-cast head-unit.

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

mikecronis

Android-cast head-unit.

Post by mikecronis » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Pretty much now'a'days everything is connected to a smartphone or other device, making onboard NAV, onboard Pandora, etc. pretty much useless. Audiophiles can appreciate a .WAV or .MP4 (DVD-A or BluRay-Audio) file however via USB/SD input.

Aside from Joyo is there a setup where the head-unit of the Monsoon can be replaced with a screen that's cast from the phone and sent via wiring harness to the amplifier yet? I'd rather just have my phone or tablet displayed on an LED/LCD screen and run business from there, perhaps with an external USB/SD-card input-reader.

I know a few guys have put a Nexus 10 or Nexus 7 mini-tablet in-place with some fudging-around, though the wiring-harness of the car itself is a bit of a "to-do".

Maybe I'm thinking too far-forward in the future here, but I suspect all cars will go this way in the next 10 years, removing expensive NAV and other setups for a simple screen-cast of an Andriod OS (or .. hiss, Apple) device. I think this is what Apple-Play or Android-ready head-units already do? Am I right on this? What are my best options?

02 red hawk

Re: Android-cast head-unit.

Post by 02 red hawk » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:17 am

I would say do your homework & go with what feels right. I am an old school driver & always will be. I am more interested in getting safely to my destination, as opposed to looking at a screen of any type while driving. My phone is turned off & do not disturb while driving. Therefore I have no urge to pick it up. I have my route planned out before I start the car, so no nav device needed. My only diversion is music.

Hawk640

Post by Hawk640 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Agree with 02redhawk, I want to enjoy the driving experience in my Hawk, MINI S, or for that matter any vehicle I happen to be driving! I wish I could go back in time before any and all of this connectivity, and not have to worry about all the distracted boneheads around me causing myself, passengers, and my car damage or death! Driving requires all of your attention, for most people it is the most dangerous thing they do in any given day, and should not be treated so casually by so many! Back in the day I was always told driving was a privilege, not a right! When did this all change and go so wrong?! 😞

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Ls1tech.com .. I use the Bell- Howell vent clip for my GPS and cell phone. No need for all that extra fancy distraction stuff. "All that's on is the radio" .. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LFUNG ... ref=plSrch
2001#194 (Unicorn)

mikecronis

Post by mikecronis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Apparently there's dozens of options using Mirrorlink. Kenwood, Dual, and Boss all have Android OS "Mirrorlink" that connects your phone via Bluetooth or HDMI and "mirrors' your phone or Android tablet's screen directly onto the face so you can use Waze, Pandora, SiriusXM, Google Maps, Netflix, Hulu, etc. all through your unit. These also work with backup camera inputs which you can select anytime (even while driving forward if wired correctly).

The Dual-brand costs about $199 and the Kenwood is about $299. The Boss runs $99 but is a bit too shoddy.