Betty 2.0

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

The Silverdude

Betty 2.0

Post by The Silverdude » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Well to start off I haven't logged in to this site in a few years, so I'm glad to be back here and seeing that interest for our cars is still there! With that being said, I had found myself coveting newer cars with higher performance and more features (like the Corvette Grand Sport), even though I didn't want to get rid of my Hawk. I had also been eying Lingenfelter as a way to breath new life into my car with their 383 engine package. Then I moved to San Diego and heard about a local shop that everyone goes to for their tuning needs- JR Competition. After speaking with them and drafting an estimate comparable to Lingenfelter's, I left my pride & joy with them in October.

Fast forward to last week, when they called me up to tell me the tuning was done and they were driving my car around to break in the new components. I wanted her back so badly, so they agreed to let me pick her up Friday night (my birthday as it turned out)! All I can say is WOW, my car may look the same on the outside, but under the hood it's a whole other beast! The exhaust note commands attention, and the power to the wheels has almost doubled! The roads were slick that night, so I didn't go crazy (doing that today). I'll be posting all manner of details in the next few days, such as video clips, pictures of the engine, some of the highlights on my 4-page invoice, and full dyno stats when I get them.

Before you ask- yes I know that Firehawks are great cars if left untouched, yes I know that I probably could have bought a new sports car with the trade-in value + what I just spent on these upgrades, and yes it might not have been the most practical thing to do in this situation. Bottom line is that this car always puts a smile on my face when I start her up (more so now), and I've always liked to brag about my car to other enthusiasts. I got to drive a 2013 C6 Vette earlier this year, and while the features were nice I kept on comparing the ride quality and felt it was too smooth and refined for me. I've gotten used to my Hawk's style in the 8 years that I've had her, and don't think I want to give up the way I feel connected to the road.

Dang, didn't mean to ramble like that... time to drive :-)
451 RWHP Black 2002 Trans Am Firehawk # 1133, 383 LS1, ported/polished heads, headers, American Racing longtube, and a bunch of other cool stuff...

VBACHAWK

Re: Betty 2.0

Post by VBACHAWK » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Green with envy ! I have never considered using my Hawk as a trade-in...never. My dream is to do what you have done with your Hawk, with maybe a few more HP. New paint, too. I would, of course, be driving my new purchase..........a 2013 Cadillac CTS-V coupe. Out of humility, I would have the V removed........RIGHT..........@@

Pam
1997 Red Hawk
LT-1 with 110,000 miles

cheetoh

Post by cheetoh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Congrats on the Redone Hawk.... Any Pics??
2000 Black Firehawk. Non G8 style.
www.fquick.com/Cheetoh

The Silverdude

Post by The Silverdude » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:43 am

A few hasty pics:

Short clip of exhaust tone. Better quality in the future...

(if nothing shows up, I'll put up a link to my Flickr page)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverdude ... otostream/
451 RWHP Black 2002 Trans Am Firehawk # 1133, 383 LS1, ported/polished heads, headers, American Racing longtube, and a bunch of other cool stuff...

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:49 am

Looks and sounds very nice, but what's up with having a FAST 92 breath through a stock lid!?
'01 Formula Hardtop

The Silverdude

Post by The Silverdude » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 pm

zmaro wrote:Looks and sounds very nice, but what's up with having a FAST 92 breath through a stock lid!?
Yeah that was one of the things they mentioned after I got her back, that if I changed it and the exhaust I'd get better performance from the engine. Honestly I don't remember why it didn't happen initially, whether I didn't think of it or I didn't think it would make much of a difference. Anyway, it's something I can take care of later on down the road (pun intended) after the engine is broken in and it's time for the next round of mods!

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm

The Silverdude wrote:
zmaro wrote:Looks and sounds very nice, but what's up with having a FAST 92 breath through a stock lid!?
Yeah that was one of the things they mentioned after I got her back, that if I changed it and the exhaust I'd get better performance from the engine. Honestly I don't remember why it didn't happen initially, whether I didn't think of it or I didn't think it would make much of a difference. Anyway, it's something I can take care of later on down the road (pun intended) after the engine is broken in and it's time for the next round of mods!
FI would get rid of that lid :naughty:
At the point your at a lid and ram air kit (and IMO a 85mm MAF) would probably provide a nice gain. What is your exhaust setup?
'01 Formula Hardtop

96AZHAWK

Post by 96AZHAWK » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Very nice. Is it LS2 based?

sleepinghawk

Post by sleepinghawk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:37 am

Sounds and looks good!
Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

The Silverdude

Post by The Silverdude » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:28 pm

zmaro wrote:
The Silverdude wrote:
FI would get rid of that lid :naughty:
At the point your at a lid and ram air kit (and IMO a 85mm MAF) would probably provide a nice gain. What is your exhaust setup?

Exhaust is stock SLP Loudmouth (for now). This intake from Volant (http://volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=158) has been ordered. Can't wait to install it... the shop guys say I'll definitely notice the difference!