Question on drivers window

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

agcat

Question on drivers window

Post by agcat » Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm

I have a very low miles 02 Hawk convertible. Drove it over the weekend and the drivers window would only lower 3 to 4’ at a time. I had to wait 5 minutes or so between trying it. It would go all the way up and down, just operated as described. I’m thinking this is a window motor about to fail. So far the passenger window works fine.

Anyone else have this problem? Or thoughts on a solution?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Agcat
Hiawatha, Ks

NBrehm

Re: Question on drivers window

Post by NBrehm » Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 am

Yup, sounds like a window motor. When they get old they overheat and stall out. As soon as the motor cools you'll be able to move the window again until the motor quits entirely. It may help to push the window down a little and pull it up to take some strain off the motor, but it will need to be replaced. They aren't too bad to change, the times i've done it I have just replaced the regulator at the same time, which makes it a whole lot easier then wrestling the springs, but neither is too bad of a job. If you do it yourself make sure you clean and regrease the wheels and tracks (or just grease if new) on the regulator.
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Mon May 18, 2020 7:33 am

Hopefully I'm not insulting your ability, but this is a great write up on getting the motor out if you want to tackle it yourself.

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

opie

Post by opie » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am

Common ailment on these birds. When my drivers side went bad I just replaced both motors. Mine went bad a couple years back. New motors are a lot stronger than the stock. Well at least the ones I purchased.
02SOMHAWK374

agcat

Post by agcat » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Thank you all so much. I don’t insult easily and really appreciate the help. I thought the motor was probably the issue as when I see one of these cars advertised a lot of the time they list a window motor being replaced. Mine died of old age not from use.
Will get a new one ordered.

Thanks
Agcat
John