Locking lug nuts

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Thomas-Folk

Locking lug nuts

Post by Thomas-Folk » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:09 pm

Anyone know of a replacement key for the stock locking lug nuts on a 1997 Firehawk?

Firehawk

Re: Locking lug nuts

Post by Firehawk » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:52 am

That is an interesting question. I don't know for sure if GM added the locking lug or if it was SLP.

My assumption was GM and each key was unique, but I am not sure if a dealer would be able to look it up and figure out how to to order a new one or not. If it was SLP, there is no chance of that.

The only other thought was to get it cut off, which from experience (not the Firehawk) will do some damage to the rim. A dealer or may be a high end rim/tire place might be able to get them off, which would be better than a blow torch.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian

Thomas-Folk

Post by Thomas-Folk » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:53 am

Firehawk wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:52 am
That is an interesting question. I don't know for sure if GM added the locking lug or if it was SLP.

My assumption was GM and each key was unique, but I am not sure if a dealer would be able to look it up and figure out how to to order a new one or not. If it was SLP, there is no chance of that.

The only other thought was to get it cut off, which from experience (not the Firehawk) will do some damage to the rim. A dealer or may be a high end rim/tire place might be able to get them off, which would be better than a blow torch.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian
I may have misspoke when I described it as a locking lug nut. It has the hex head as a normal lug nut, but it is surrounded by a series of splines that don’t quite reach the top of the lug nut. These splines number around 12 to 18 in quantity and prevent a socket from getting a good enough bite on the head of the nut to turn it off. A 13/16 socket fits over the splines, but doesn’t have enough bite to get the lug nut off. The ‘key’ is just a socket that is designed to fit over the hex nut and splines.
BTW this is a 1997 Firehawk #0107
Thanks!

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:50 pm

My Advice, get a 20mm (I think) 12 point socket or lug removal socket, take them off, put regular nuts on. You are going to have to hammer the socket on to make it tight enough, so use an old one or a cheap one you don't mind if it gets ruined. They are so ridiculously easy to defeat they are generally more trouble than they are worth. There are more than one set of lug keys, so without a part number it's a crap shoot on if you get the right key. They do make special sockets for removing them but usually you can find a 12 point in some size that will work
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:13 pm

Yup, you're going to need to hammer on a socket on... Or, figure out which lock socket you need and dig through all the ones at local auto parts stores until you find the one you need or close to the one you need.
2001#194 (Unicorn)